[RFC] Reinstate NFS exportability for JFFS2.

Chuck Lever chuck.lever at oracle.com
Sun Aug 3 13:15:19 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Neil Brown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:
> On Saturday August 2, bfields at fieldses.org wrote:
>>
>> Though really I can't see any great objection to just moving xfs's hack
>> up into nfsd.  It may not do everything, but it seems like an
>> incremental improvement.
>
> Because it is a hack, and hacks have a tendency to hide deeper
> problems, and not be ever get cleaned up and generally to become a
> burden to future generations.

Agreed that maintainability is an important concern.

However, I don't see that what David suggests in general is hiding a
deeper problem, but is rather exposing it.  Can you explain what you
think is the issue?

> However if you do go down that path, can I suggest:
>
>  1/ get rid of the word "hack" throughout the code.  If you think it
>    is sensible, make it appear sensible.

Yes, if we're going to codify this method of handling readdir, let's
document it properly and treat it as a first class API.

>  2/ drop the "retry malloc of a smaller size" thing.
>    In fact, you can probably use one of the set of pages that has
>    been reserved for the request.  It is very rare that a readdir
>    request will be as big as the largest read.

Well, many Linux clients support reading directories only a page at a
time (this limitation may have been lifted recently).  But other
clients often ask to read much more.

Again it appears that a Linux NFS client is not going to be the real
acid test here.  Solaris and FreeBSD would probably be the best to
try, I think.

>  3/ Make the new way unconditional.  That gives it broader test
>    coverage which can only be a good thing.  And what is good for the
>    goose is good for the gander... (not that I'm calling anyone a
>    goose).

As Bruce also suggested, and I agree with this (not the goose part,
the unconditionality and test coverage parts).

--
 "Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow-moving dipping mechanism."
--Dr. Evil