short UBI/UBIFS status update

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Mon Apr 21 09:48:08 EDT 2008

Hi UBI/UBIFS users,

here is a brief status update.

1. We fixed few bugs in UBIFS and mkfs.ubifs so we recommend to update.
However, beware that we changed media format so the old UBIFS images
won't mount. The latest UBIFS version is 0.6.

2. We've implemented a new user-space tool "ubiformat" which was our
response to this
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2008-April/021203.html
post where one of our users constantly used "flash_eraseall" and wiped
out the erase counters all the time, so she probably worn out some
eraseblocks. Or at least some eraseblocks are now much more used than
the others. Please, use this utility instead of "nandwrite" and
"flash_eraseall". Please, glance at:

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubi.html#L_ubierase
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubi.html#L_flash_img

3. The UBI web-page now contains some hints for the people who are going
to add some UBI support to their flashing programs:
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_format

Also, we've got one user who tried UBIFS on his NOR flash, and after
some minor bug-fixes it worked.

Regards,
Adrian, Artem.