Is there possible to integrate mtd ubi ubifs latest version in one git tree?

Jamie Lokier jamie at shareable.org
Tue Apr 15 07:41:36 EDT 2008

Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> > # flash_eraseall /dev/mtd5
>
> I guess you know that UBIFS stores erase-counter at the beginning of the
> eraseblock. What you do with this command you just wipe the flash out
> and loose the erase-counters. This is not good.
>
> Partially it is our fault that we did not tell about this loudly at the
> web site. I also put examples which use flash_eraseall, but that was for
> nandsim. I really did not think about this scenario. We use our own
> flasher for flashing images which does preserve erase-counters.
>
> If you do like this often, you are risking to wear-out some eraseblocks
> of your flash which is bad.
>
> We have create a separate utility for erasing the flash and preserving
> erase-counters (well, actually incrementing them). We will do this ASAP,
> may be next week. We will also fix the web site to inform people about
> possible consequences of using flash_eraseall for MTD devices which are
> used for UBI.

I'm not sure if UBI stores erase counters for blocks in _other_ blocks.

If erase counters are stored at the start of each block, for the block
itself, what happens in this sequence?

    1. Begin erase block.
    2. Erase succeeds.
    3. Power failure / system reset / watchdog / etc.
    4. ....?

Is the erase counter zeroed as a result of this?

One of the nicest features of JFFS2 and UBIFS is that they are robust
against power failures and other unexpected reboot scenarios.

Some devices use this by not having a shutdown sequence: the normal
method of shutdown is to turn off the power.  It's fast.

It would be unfortunate if UBI's erase levelling info were lost by
doing this.

-- Jamie