[BUG] JFFS2 usage of write_begin and write_end functions causes kernel panic

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Apr 13 08:42:56 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 12:50 +0200, Jörn Engel wrote:
> On Fri, 11 April 2008 21:05:33 +0300, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> >
> > So why did you start this project? How about just making all your work
> > to go into mainline instead?
>
> At least one of the patches should not go to mainline.  It is one of
> those strange "If I change the code here, all symptoms disappear"
> patches that doesn't cure the cause.  Someone should spend some time to
> find the root couse, but noone has.

Indeed. I'm very reluctant to merge band-aids when the root cause isn't
properly understood. I'm normally a bit better at taking over from such
'hints' and tracking problems down for myself, but over the last few
months I haven't had time for that (or indeed for _anything_ much).
That situation should be improved now -- I have no plans to leave the
country between now and OLS.

> Keeping such patches somewhere easily accessable - but not in mainline -
> might be a good idea.  Would be even better if the root cause was found
> and fixed, of course.

That's the reason I give out accounts on git.infradead.org. I believe
Alexey has such an account.

--
dwmw2