choosing a file system to use on NAND/UBI

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Mon Apr 7 04:41:05 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 17:32 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> I switched my UBIFS from the default lzo to zlib compression, as the
> resulting images (from mkfs.ubifs) were smaller. Is there any reason to
> prefer the default lzo?

Just FYI, although zlib compresses better, it is slower as well.
According to Richard:

"This is particularly useful for jffs2 where significant boot time
speedups (~10%) and file read speed improvements (~40%) are seen when
its used with only a slight drop in file compression ratio."

AFAIK, the figures were related to Nokia N800. I guess for "desktop" CPU
this would not make such a big difference.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)