[2/2] 2.6.23-rc5: known regressions with patches

Satyam Sharma satyam at infradead.org
Thu Sep 6 06:34:28 EDT 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, David Woodhouse wrote:

> This isn't really a regression -- it's been like this for years. It's a
> non-functional configuration which doesn't really make sense, and would
> only crop up with randconfig (or crack).
>
> Linus was offered the patch a few weeks ago, but didn't take it -- it's
> not really a priority for 2.6.23. It's in my git tree and will be pushed
> when the 2.6.24 merge window opens.
>
> http://git.infradead.org/?p=mtd-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=241651d04d672fb685b2874707016cbbf95931e5

You shouldn't push this even for 2.6.24 ... I can't see why/how a runtime
BUG() scores over erroring out at build-time itself. And if there is no
codepath that leads to that BUG() at runtime, then what's the point of
adding dead code ...

So I wonder if what you're actually looking for is some kind of Kconfig
dependencies that will *prevent* the kind of .config from being generated
that Ingo ran into ?

Satyam