UBI Used In Commercial Products ??

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 21:56:02 EDT 2007

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:01:07 +0000 (UTC)
Sergei Sharonov <sergei.sharonov at halliburton.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> > JFFS2 has been modified to sit on top of UBI.
>
> Yes, I know. Is that better then JFFS2 on top of mtdblock device?

It depends.  If you have multiple partitions then yes, UBI is better.
It will wear-level across the entire root MTD device, whereas JFFS2 on
top of a partition will only wear-level within that partition.  UBI
also allows you to run other filesystems in different volumes, or have
static volumes.

If you have just a single JFFS2 filesystem that spans the whole flash
chip anyway, then maybe not.

josh