mtd support for large NAND

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Mon Oct 15 20:27:15 EDT 2007

On Friday 12 October 2007 21:36:09 falls huang wrote:
> Hello !
>
>   How can I simulate a large nandflash(>4G) in linux PC ? I want to
> take a look at it, but I don't have any develop-board that has 4G

There are a few problems you face here. Firstly, mtd does not support >4G
which will need fixing.

Secondly, even if your system has > 4G it might not be all simultaneously
accessible and you will need to use highmem as a way to do temporary mappings
to access this memory.

I might be tempted to try do this using some sort of userspace driver then
just backing the driver with regular files (eg. 8x1G files to simulate 8G of
NAND).