Wrong data CRC in data node

Jesper Saxtorph Jesper.Saxtorph at prevas.dk
Wed Nov 14 07:23:32 EST 2007

Hi

We have embedded systems where we get errors if the system is not allowed to
make a clean shutdown (that is taking the power or letting the watchdog make
a reset).
The full message we get is:
JFFS2 notice: (683) check_node_data: wrong data CRC in data node at 0x0016abe0:
read 0x8d31ae61, calculated 0x46201a37
The addresses is not fixed, they change.
The 683 process is jffs2_gcd_mtd2.

We have the following setup:
Atmel at91
Dataflash memory
Kernel 2.6.19 with patches from http://maxim.org.za/at91_26.html

We have used kernel 2.6.12 earlier with no problems.

The errors are at our root partition, our only mounted flash.
If we mount root as read-only, the errors will not come.

I have search the net for related problems but not been able to find anything
usefull.

To get debug information I did the following:
I have added debug level 2 (noisy) in jffs2.
I have commented out #undef DEBUG_DATAFLASH in at91_dataflash.c
I have commented out #undef DEBUG_SPI in at91_spi.c

This did not give me any further information.

I wonder if there can be some kind of cache active (in 2.6.19 contra 2.6.12) we
are not aware of, that we should deactivate.

Is this a know this issue?

Any suggestions to what I could try?

With hope for suggestions,
Jesper Saxtorph