Mounting big endian jffs2 images on mtdram on a x86

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 16 03:45:03 EDT 2007

Hans-Christian Egtvedt <hcegtvedt <at> norway.atmel.com> writes:

> Ah, thanks for this hint.
>
> > The reason it's not a runtime option is because that would be quite
> > slow, and it's a very esoteric feature.
>
> For development systems it would be a great feature, hence my original
> email. But for an embedded system this should not be present at all.
>
> > I'm sorry. I should have just made it either big- or little-endian right
> > from the very beginning and never made the mistake of letting it be
> > host-endian.
>
> What I would have liked was a possibility to choose which read/write
> operations should be used when using my developing machine, but for the
> kernel I boot my embedded target with I would like an optimized jffs2
> driver.
>
> Use native endianess by default, but have a possibility to override at
> runtime.
>
> </thoughts>

(I guess you could have both be- and le- drivers present in your dev system
as long as they had different naming, so you could  mount -t jffs2.be / .le
as required.)

Since this is a development-only requirement, there is no need to make
a generic read-everything upgrade for JFFS2 which would then slug the
performance of the standard build. Keep this option as a nonstandard
recompile option, and let the native versions use their native byte ordering.

Regards,
MikeW