JFFS2 Support for Large Flash Designs

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Wed Mar 7 12:48:07 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 12:23 -0500, ian at brightstareng.com wrote:
> Some random programs I build that know about the kernel
> internals: busybox, e2fsprogs, genext2fs, Glibc, net-tools,
> pthreads, uClibc, util-linux, wireless_tools the list goes on,
> with plenty of drivers/modules too.

There is an important difference between userland tools which have
kernel knowledge and drivers:

The user space interface is _STABLE_ - the kernel interfaces are _NOT_

That's the reason why out of tree drivers, filesystems ... are often out
of sync and contain more #ifdefs than code to cope with the dozens of
kernel versions.

SoC devices out of tree are a seperate steaming pile of ... I have seen
too many chip vendor kernels explode when you just try to do anything
else than run "hello world" on them.

I share Joerns distrust fully.

	tglx