JFFS2 Max Flash Size?

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Thu Mar 1 15:37:15 EST 2007

On Thursday 01 March 2007 10:17, Johnson, Charles F wrote:
> I've heard there is scalability issues with JFFS2 with large flash
> sizes.   So my question on this list is for a NAND flash design, is
> there a maximum size that JFFS2 can handle ??  4GB, 8GB, ????

I don't know where JFFS2 hits the wall, theoretically or practically, but I do
know that people are using YAFFS on 6GB partitions.

YAFFS does use u32s internally but only thinks in pages and 32-bits worth of
pages go a long way.  You'll hit practical limits (like RAM required) long
before that.

-- Charles