File system testing

James Graves jgraves at deltamobile.com
Thu Jun 28 15:34:50 EDT 2007

Thanks for the reply David.

Turns out to apparently be a hardware problem.

Data written to the last 512 of flash memory (of a 32Mbyte flash part)
sometimes doesn't work.  Sometimes, even though the programming
apparently worked, you'll just get back 0xff anyway.  The rest of the
flash memory works fine, and we were able to run our filesystem
exerciser for over 12 hours solid, with no errors, once we excluded that
part of the flash memory.

So, obviously, any block at the end of memory was getting corrupted.

I'm expecting there's some kind of memory mapping conflict, but that'll
take further investigation.

What's funny is that we'd previously done some informal testing of the
raw partition.  Reading and writing images to the /dev/mtdblock3 device
directly.

And it seemed to be working fine.  But, as it turns out, we were only
testing approximately 32Mbytes... and not _exactly_ 32Mbytes.

Let that be a lesson to you all!

Thanks again,

James Graves