jffs2: mount problems when XATTR is enabled

Paul Wakeman prwakeman at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 07:04:37 EDT 2007

KaiGai Kohei <kaigai at ak.jp.nec.com> wrote:

>  >> Did you pack any xattr in the filesystem image?
>  >
>  > No. The initial rootfs has no files with xattrs. Applications add
>  > attributes when the system operates. These errors occur before the
>  > first xattr is written.
>
> I wonder why jffs2/xattr code gave an effect your flash device
> without any xattr node, because any xattr related implementation
> is invoked only when jffs2 found xattr nodes on the medium, or
> xattr related operations are done (like setfacl).

Maybe it causes timing differences just by it being compiled in?

My boot logs show calls to jffs_build_xattr_subsystem().

> >> Is it possible to retry it using the kernel with debug messages.
> >> (See fs/jffs2/debug.h)
> >
> > Ok. I'll send the log later.
>
> I think Kconfig related to JFFS2 also helps us to understand the
> situation.

Attached are two compressed logs captured on the serial port.

jffs2-dbg-flashboot.log.gz
jffs2-dbg-nfsboot.log.gz

The logs show kernel boot messages and shell command output which will
hopefully show the symptoms. The same kernel was used in each case.

The root partition is in NOR flash (mtd2). Applications use xattr
features only in /mnt/userdata (also in NOR at mtd3). There are 3
partitions in NAND (mtd6-8).

At the end of the nfsboot log, there are shell commands that show that
manually mounting /dev/mtdblock2 (which gave all the errors in the
flash boot case) mounts cleanly.

The jffs2 kernel config is:-

# CONFIG_JFFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS=y
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_DEBUG=2
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_WRITEBUFFER=y
# CONFIG_JFFS2_SUMMARY is not set
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_XATTR=y
# CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_POSIX_ACL is not set
# CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_SECURITY is not set
# CONFIG_JFFS2_COMPRESSION_OPTIONS is not set
CONFIG_JFFS2_ZLIB=y
CONFIG_JFFS2_RTIME=y
# CONFIG_JFFS2_RUBIN is not set

> What's happen when you boot the board with NFS root, and mount the
> errored
> partition manually again?

See the attached nfsboot log. No errors!

> If you can reproduce the error, I recommend you to try the same test
> on mtdram pseudo mtd device next.

Unfortunately this only seems to happen if the system is booted using
the jffs2 rootfs.

Thanks again for your reply.

Paul

http://tv.yahoo.com/