problem writing to flash

benszau at googlemail.com benszau at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 25 05:59:41 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have a problem, writing to my flash device (Intel StrataFlash - 28F128J3).
Background: I'm using a phyCORE-MPC5200B-tiny module (a PPC embedded board)
Now I want to write to the onboard flash. First I tryed to use the MTD
package provided by the OpenWRT porject. Compiling was no problem but
when I tried to unlock (erase/write) the flash memory, I got an error:
"phys_mapped_flash: block unlock error: (status timeout)".
Then I tried to access my flash using the mtd-tools (provided by
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org) and I got the same error
"phys_mapped_flash: block unlock error: (status timeout)" when I tried
to unlock /dev/mtd2.
Now the mysterious part: I examined the code, I found "mtdLockInfo.start
= 0" and changed it to "mtdLockInfo.start = 1" and then it worked!!!
So, my question is: Why???
Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I'm thankful for every hint.

Simon