jffs2: mount problems when XATTR is enabled

Paul Wakeman prwakeman at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 07:59:37 EDT 2007

I'm seeing lots of jffs2 errors at boot when mounting filesystems. My
kernel has XATTR enabled. If I build my kernel without
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_XATTR, the errors don't occur. What are the
requirements for a working jffs2 with XATTR? Are there dependencies of
userspace utilities - mount, mkfs.jffs2 etc?

Errors are of the form:-

Node totlen on flash (0xffffffff) != totlen from node ref (0x0000013c)
at 0x00322d24
Node totlen on flash (0xffffffff) != totlen from node ref (0x000007e0)
at 0x00322544

The filesystem mounts but "ls" gives errors:

# ls /
ls: Input/output error

My board has NOR and NAND flash. The errors occur in NOR partitions.

System info:-
Freescale MX31 CPU (ARM11 core)
2.6.19 kernel
mkfs.jffs2 version 1.50
gcc 4.1.1 (glibc)
busybox 1.1.3

I tried patching my kernel with the MTD code from the latest 2.6.22
kernel but it results in the same problems. I also tried the latest
mkfs.jffs2 from git (which reports the same version number though I
don't think it is...).

Curiously, if I boot an NFS root and then mount the partition
manually, the errors do not occur.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Paul