Doubts regarding MTD

Ranga Raju B brraju at hyd.hellosoft.com
Mon Jul 16 12:15:15 EDT 2007

Hi,
    We are using ARASAN NFC with Micron NAND Device. I am writing a
driver based on ndfc.c I have few problems here.

1. ARASAN NFC doesn't give me read or write access to spare area. I can
know a block is bad (Manufacture Bad Block) using a command and it gives
the status.
2. NFC itself generates NAND_ECC_HW3_512, writes into the spare area
when we specify the Spare Area Address where the ECC to written or read
for a 512 byte. It never allows us to know what the ECC is as we can't
read the content of spare area.
3. NFC handles the single bit errors if any but doesn't handle the multi
bit errors.

I don't know how to handle this. I know that we need to return the value
of the ECC into the ECC buffer whenever a read/write is requested. What
is the placement scheme that is recommended for this situation. How do I
handle the ECC from MTD. Should I use Software ECC or shall I specify
ECC_NONE.

spare area of the NAND Device.

Regards
Ranga