NAND Driver in case of NAND Flash Controller

Ranga Raju B brraju at hyd.hellosoft.com
Mon Jul 2 07:07:09 EDT 2007

Hi,
    I need to write a Linux MTD NAND Driver for an SoC. It has NAND
Flash Controller (ARASAN NAND Flash Controller) and I am using a 2Gb
Micron NAND Flash. The MTD drivers I currently see in the Linux tree are
basically having the NAND Flash connected directly to the processors
using GPIO or Address Lines. In this case it is appropriate to write
callback functions for

hwcontrol
dev_ready
write_byte
read_byte
verify_byte
write_buf
read_buf
verify_buf

Since the IO data lines and control lines are controlled directly by the
processor.

In case of NAND flash controller we don't have this controller. We need
to program only the registers and we can get status only from the status
registers. We have data ports
which can take only 512 bytes at a time. Has anyone written the Linux
driver for this kind of situation?

I have control only at stage 1. Which are nothing but memory mapped
interface.

                1                                             2
   ARM  --->  NAND Flash Controller   ---> NAND Flash

I don't  know  where to start this driver. I intend to use JFFS2 over
MTD partitions.

Best regards
Ranga Raju B