JFFS2 Root Filesystem and Linux 2.6.19

Doug Kehn rdkehn at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 23 21:48:05 EST 2007

Hi All,

Target: ADI Coyote, Intel XScale IXP-425, bigendian
Source: uClinux-dist-test-20070108
           Linux 2.6.19
           uClibc 0.9.27
           Busybox 1.0.0
Toolchain: arm-linux-tools-20061213
              binutils-2.16
              gcc-3.4.4
              glibc-2.3.3
              glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.3

When the kernel is configured for a jffs2 rootfs, some
apps fail to load with either a Segment Fault or
"'/lib' is not an ELF file" the first time they are
executed.  The second and subsequent executions of the
same app work properly.  Attached is a sample boot
log.  MTD and JFFS2 debugging information has been
enabled.

If, on the other hand, the kernel is configured for an
initrd and the jffs2 partition is mounted with 'mount'
after boot, this error does not occur.

I've posted to the uClibc group and the uClinux group.
 My posts to these groups contain additional detail as
well as additional traces (included as attachments).
I thought it easier to provide links (see below) than
to include all the information here.  If this is not
the case, I'll compile all the information in to one
big post here.

The uClibc thread is -- Bummer: could not find!
http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2007-January/017086.html

The uClinux thread is -- uClinux-dist-test-20070108:
Problems with jffs2 rootfs
http://mailman.uclinux.org/pipermail/uclinux-dev/2007-January/041699.html

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks,