Do not understand use of oobfree

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Mon Feb 5 03:22:42 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 19:58 -0800, Philip Rakity wrote:
> I am asking because if I have a flash device that does not map per the
> standard includes do I have to touch jffs2 to get things to work.

I've just submitted a patch which teaches UBI to use MTD_OOB_AUTO
option. Please, make sure your driver supports it and try the patch.

The idea is that it is not application's business to know details of OOB
- where ECC bytes ate stored, BB marker, etc. This is all legacy stuff,
conceptually wrong. We now (thankfully) have the MTD_OOB_AUTO and it
should be used instead. It represents free OOB bytes as a contiguous
buffer and allows you read to it and write from it.

The patches are not in Mainline, not even in mtd-2.6.git yet. They are
at
git://git.infradead.org/~dedekind/dedekind-mtd-2.6.git.

Or web
http://git.infradead.org/?p=users/dedekind/dedekind-mtd-2.6.git;a=summary

Try this and send us your success story or the complaint.

P.S. I don't know why we don't remove the legacy OOB-related stuff - but
I am all for it.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)