JFFS2 Root Filesystem and Linux 2.6.19

Doug Kehn rdkehn at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 4 08:43:11 EST 2007

Hi All,

Some additional information/clarification.

> --- Doug Kehn wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Target: ADI Coyote, Intel XScale IXP-425,
> bigendian
> > Source: uClinux-dist-test-20070108
> >            Linux 2.6.19
> >            uClibc 0.9.27
> >            Busybox 1.0.0
> > Toolchain: arm-linux-tools-20061213
> >               binutils-2.16
> >               gcc-3.4.4
> >               glibc-2.3.3
> >               glibc-linuxthreads-2.3.3
> >
> > When the kernel is configured for a jffs2 rootfs,
> > some
> > apps fail to load with either a Segment Fault or
> > "'/lib' is not an ELF file" the first time they
> are
> > executed.  The second and subsequent executions of
> > the
> > same app work properly.  Attached is a sample boot
> > log.  MTD and JFFS2 debugging information has been
> > enabled.
> >
> > If, on the other hand, the kernel is configured
> for
> > an
> > initrd and the jffs2 partition is mounted with
> > 'mount'
> > after boot, this error does not occur.

I should have said if the rootfs is a ramdisk, sorry.
The stock kernel command line for ADI Coyote in
uClinux is:

CONFIG_CMDLINE="console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/ram0
initrd=0x00800000,8M mem=64M at 0x00000000"

Then from the shell:

# mount -n -t jffs2 -o rw,noatime /dev/mtdblock2
/mnt/jffs2

Then running /mnt/jffs2/bin/<app> does not produce
the error.

I then tried an initrd with a kernel command line of

CONFIG_CMDLINE="console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/ram0
init=/linuxrc rw initrd=0x03E00000,1M
mem=64M at 0x00000000"

and a linuxrc of

#!/bin/sh
echo"initrd: mounting jffs2 rootfs
mkdir /jffs2
mount -n -t jffs2 -o rw,noatime /dev/mtdblock2
/jffs2
echo "initrd: starting rootfs"
cd /jffs2
[ -d initrd ] || mkdir initrd
pivot_root . initrd
exec chroot . /sbin/init <dev/console >dev/console
2>&1

The error still occurs with this scheme.

http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2007-January/017086.html

http://mailman.uclinux.org/pipermail/uclinux-dev/2007-January/041699.html