JFFS2 on SPI Flash

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Wed Dec 19 09:45:21 EST 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Duke wrote:

> Can anyone offer any thoughts?
>
> On 12/18/07, Duke <ezbonites at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, If I choose to have a JFFS2 fs on SPI flash device, what is the
>> minimum size required? For example a 16Mbit ST chip has a sector size
>> of 512K bit while the Atmel 16Mbit (AT45DB..) has a sector size of
>> 128Kbytes.  Is there a rule of tumb to apply for making th choice?

If you have a look in the kernel
fs/jffs2/build.c:jffs2_calc_trigger_levels() you can get an idea about how
much free space you need to do things like delete a file, or write to the
file system. Basically, two free blocks are needed to delete files, to
write, the number of blocks depends on the partition size and the number
of blocks in the partition.

/Ricard