Jffs2 something strange

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Mon Dec 10 14:55:44 EST 2007

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, fabien wrote:

> How it is possible with 646 KBytes of data to have 96% used in 1MBytes
> mtd partition space ?
> Please explain me, may be i did something wrong ?

JFFS2 needs to have a few extra (the actual number varies depending on the
size of the partition and the eraseblock size) eraseblocks in order to be
able to erase and write to the file system. The actual number is
calculated when the file system is mounted. At least two eraseblocks are
needed to allow deletes, and at least one more to allow writes.

With an eraseblock size of 128kB (0x20000) and a partition of 1MB
(0x100000), assuming three eraseblocks are reserved for delete and write
operations, this ends up being 384kB of reserved space, which probably
accounts for the 96% used figure you see.

/Ricard