Banking flash

Jon Ringle JRingle at vertical.com
Thu Dec 6 14:17:19 EST 2007

Hi,

We are in the process of designing a new board around the IXP435. The
IXP435 has 4 Expansion bus chip selects with an address space of 16MB
per chip select. I can only use CS0 for flash because the other 3 CSs
are being used for other purposes. The challenge that we have is that we
require 32MB of flash storage. One of the options that we are
considering is to use a GPIO pin to bank 16MB of a 32MB Intel Strata
flash chip at any given time to CS0's 16MB address space. I am trying to
access the scope of work to be done in Linux to accomplish this and I am
asking for feedback on this idea.

Thanks,
Jon