Direct Access to flash chips

David Anders dave123_aml at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 09:37:02 EDT 2007

Jörn,

the alauda based card readers are getting pretty hard to find. although they work, they aren't a
long term solution for accessing raw NAND flash. by far the best solution i've run across is to
use the FTDI FT2232 chip to bit bang NAND flash access. there are both an opensource library and
proprietary library for the FT2232 usage under linux.(see projects like OpenOCD for example
usage).

chip information:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/FT2232C.htm

prototype modules:
http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/2232m.shtml

there are some other products that would work as well including the EZ-Usb products, however they
do require custom firmware to properly access the NAND flash.

http://moin.elinux.org/wiki/EzUsb

there are several NAND flash vendors that have NAND flash evaluation kits that include a device
for accessing NAND flash, but these are generally beyond the cost of most developers.

Dave Anders