Trying to use DOC2000 on Debian

mailthrottle-mtd at yahoo.it mailthrottle-mtd at yahoo.it
Wed Aug 15 19:21:09 EDT 2007

Hello to the list.

I'm sorry to ask here but I could not find the answers
by myself.
I have a "native" dos formatted DOC2000, my first goal
is access it from Linux.
I guessed I have to create the necessary device node
first so I created some of them (it seems MAKEDEV
script in debian only provides mtdX devices, I added
these by hand):

mknod /dev/ftla b 44 0
mknod /dev/ftla1 b 44 1
mknod /dev/ftla2 b 44 2
mknod /dev/ftla3 b 44 3
mknod /dev/ftla4 b 44 4
mknod /dev/nftla b 93 0
mknod /dev/nftla1 b 93 1
mknod /dev/nftla2 b 93 2
mknod /dev/nftla3 b 93 3
mknod /dev/nftla4 b 93 4

Then I tried "modprobe diskonchip" and I saw some
messages from which I guess the system recognized a
DiskOnChip device.
I could be happy now but when I try to mount
/dev/nftla1 or fdisk /dev/nftla the system delay a
while then prints some messages saying it is
formatting some blocks (I'm sorry I can't reproduce
the exact messages now).
After this I cannot access the device anymore and if I
reboot with a dos floppy disk I can see dos cannot
find any partition on DOC2000, I have to create it and
format it again.
Can you help me to understand what is happening?
It is possible to read the DOC "native" format using
mtd drivers?
I learn there are different format nftl/inftl but
can't say which one is really used by the device,
shoul I try to access it as inftl?

I'm using debian stable (Etch) kernel 2.6.18.

Thanks.

Alessandro.