Unlocking with Intel J3 series flash

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Thu Aug 2 08:03:49 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 05:23:31PM +0100, Ben Dooks wrote:

> My solution, which I can post the patch for, is to check the lock
> status of the page before trying to unlock the device.
>
> | 2621-rc6-trizeps2-mtd-chip-unlock-check2.patch

I have tested this and it "works for me", thanks!

> | Note, we make the assumption that all flashes return the correct
> | sector status, and that there is no need to force an lock or
> | unlock if the status is the same as the chip is reporting.

That is indeed a bit of departure from previous way that unlock/lock
commands worked.  And I suspect its enough reason for this patch to
not be accepted into mainline.  Then again, there are bound to be a
whole lot of J3 flash parts out there.

So, can this patch be merged, and if not, what needs to be done to
make it acceptible?

-R