OOPS at mount

Joakim Tjernlund joakim.tjernlund at transmode.se
Thu Apr 26 05:04:22 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 09:29 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 10:20 +0200, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > No this is a matter of installing a number of new execuables/libs in
> > the FS and moving a few symlinks. Then a reboot.
> > I suspect that the it is only one of these printout that actually
> > makes the system crash, the other ones has problaby been there for a
> > while. Does that make sense?
>
> Yes. Only one of those was a complaint with "but the old size was 0",
> which will have led to a NULL frag_last() since there were no frags.
>
> > No, none acutally.
>
> Hmmm.
>

> > > This is with JFFS2 from 2.6.20, right? Not a bug in the read_inode code
> > > I just committed a couple of days ago?
> >
> > Plain 2.6.20 with my optimized scan you just commited.
>
> By 'optimised scan' you just mean the fix to make it not crash, right?

No, sorry to be a bit unclear. I mean
  "[JFFS2] Speed up mount for directly-mapped NOR flash"
and then the patch you did yesterday:
  "[JFFS2] Handle inodes with only a single metadata node with non-zero isize"
Had to apply than one by hand, but it was easy.

> Not the _real_ optimisation I committed before that, which rewrites the
> entire read_inode() code path?

> > > That shouldn't make any difference.
> >
> > I know, but thats the only thing that I can think of that is somewhat
> > unique to our system.
>
> Hm. I'm trying to think how it could trigger the problem -- even if we
> didn't block SIGHUP when we were in the GC routines, I still don't see
> how we could lose old nodes of a file without writing out new ones.
>
> You can reproduce this at will by mounting a _clean_ filesystem, then
> "installing a number of new executables and moving a few symlinks" and
> then rebooting?

No, this SW upgrade procedure has been performed many times and this
is the first time we had this problem.

> Can you do that all with CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_DEBUG=1 and log it? I'll then
> see where _all_ the nodes for these problematics files are on the first
> boot, I'll see what happens when you make changes, and I'll see what we
> find on the second boot.
>
> If you kill the GC thread (or hack the kernel not to start it) that'll
> make the dump a bit less noisy.

Since I can't reproduce how it happened we are stuck with the image we
have, would a full CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_DEBUG=1 help now?

 Jocke