Is NAND MTD preemption safe?

Ronny L Nilsson rln-mtd at arbetsmyra.dyndns.org
Wed Sep 6 04:37:58 EDT 2006

Hi
I have a question about MTD, NAND and race conditions. Basically I'm
wondering if the NAND support in MTD is preemption safe?

Scenario:
1) A NAND chip is splited in multiple partitions.

2) On each partition (/dev/mtdblockX) is a filesystem.

3) If one filesystem performs a write in the NAND chip, will the other
filesystems temporarily be lock out? If preemption is enabled in the
kernel I suspect races might otherwise occur (since addressing and
command cycles of NANDS are quite lengthy).

Regards
/Ronny Nilsson