mtd-utils/nandwrite: what if write fails?

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind at infradead.org
Fri Oct 27 10:13:05 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 15:07 +0200, Ricard Wanderlof wrote:
> I assume that the mtd block devices don't provide any bad block management
> either? (Hm, one could imagine a device which when written to simply
> skipped bad blocks ... ?)
Yes. I personally have never used it because it is obviously very poor
FTL and is barely usable except for testing/debugging or such.

> A torture test would be nice too, but it's not really the same thing.
> Blocks can go bad with time, and when one actually does go bad, it has to
> be handled at that time.

I offer you to test it. Select an eraseblock, and erase it many times in
cycle and see what happens. It may be interesting. I can send you a test
module which does this.

> Another option would be to integrate erasure into nandwrite, so that it
> could erase blocks prior to writing them, to give a completely integrated
> utility. Writing to a non-erased (nand) flash is rather pointless anyway
> isn't it? Naturally, one would want to set limits for the erasure so that
> not the whole flash would have to be erased just to write a small image.

IMO be it makes sense to write a nice image flashing utility for this
instead from scratch.

--
Best regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (Битюцкий Артём)