/proc/mtd and flash information

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Oct 27 08:44:21 EDT 2006

Hi,

It seems to me that /proc/mtd is a little short on information.

It would be nice to see the type of media (NOR, NAND etc), write and oob
size (for NAND), perhaps a couple of other things for NAND such as the
number of bad blocks within a partition.

Perhaps having a /proc/mtdX file for each device, giving much the same
information that otherwise has to be fetched using ioctls like MEMGETINFO,
ECCGETLAYOUT, ECCGETSTATS etc. Or would that be considered useless, given
that the same information can actually be obtained from userspace using an
application using those ioctls?

I see there is an application called flash_info which would seem to
display information, but which actually only displays info gathered from
MEMGETREGIONCOUNT. Perhaps it would be an idea to augment this application
so that it outputs as much information as can be read using ioctls?

Don't mind working on this, but would like some input first.

/Ricard