JFFS2 on Lite5200

Andrea Galbusera andrea.galbusera at teamware.it
Tue Oct 17 06:33:03 EDT 2006

Hello.

I'm currently using linux-2.6.16 from denx on a Lite5200 V2.0. I need to
access a JFFS2 filesystem on the onboard flash ( 16MB Am29L652D ).

I see the flash using physmap driver and cmdline partitions.
I experience a problem when creating files on JFFS2 with filename longer
than a few characters. They appear to be created correctly with the
content I want, but, after unmounting and remounting the filesystem they
result unreadable and ls complains with "no such file or
directory" (short-named files are ok).

I can deterministically reproduce the problem this way:

$ eraseall /dev/mtd1	(start with a fresh MTD partition)
$ mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock1 /mnt/flash
$ date > /mnt/flash/short
$ date > /mnt/flash/timestamp
$ ls /mnt/flash/
short  timestamp
$ umount /dev/mtdblock1
$ mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock1 /mnt/flash
$ ls /mnt/flash
ls: /mnt/flash/time: No such file or directory
short

...than I cannot access /mnt/flash/timestamp anymore,
while /mnt/flash/short is ok!

These are the kernel relevant settings:

#
# Memory Technology Devices (MTD)
#
CONFIG_MTD=y
CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG_VERBOSE=3
CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS=y
CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS=y

#
# User Modules And Translation Layers
#
CONFIG_MTD_CHAR=y
CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK=y

#
# RAM/ROM/Flash chip drivers
#
CONFIG_MTD_CFI=y
CONFIG_MTD_GEN_PROBE=y
CONFIG_MTD_MAP_BANK_WIDTH_1=y
CONFIG_MTD_MAP_BANK_WIDTH_2=y
CONFIG_MTD_MAP_BANK_WIDTH_4=y
CONFIG_MTD_CFI_I1=y
CONFIG_MTD_CFI_I2=y
CONFIG_MTD_CFI_INTELEXT=y
CONFIG_MTD_CFI_AMDSTD=y
CONFIG_MTD_CFI_AMDSTD_RETRY=0
CONFIG_MTD_CFI_UTIL=y

#
# Mapping drivers for chip access
#
CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP=y
CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_START=0xff000000
CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_LEN=0x01000000
CONFIG_MTD_PHYSMAP_BANKWIDTH=1

#
# Miscellaneous filesystems
#
CONFIG_JFFS_FS=y
CONFIG_JFFS_FS_VERBOSE=0
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS=y
CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_DEBUG=2
CONFIG_JFFS2_ZLIB=y
CONFIG_JFFS2_RTIME=y

I enabled both MTD and JFFS2 maximum verbosity debug messages. If
relevant, I can post them for any of the commands in the sequence. Btw I
have the same problem with crafted filesystem images built with
mkfs.jffs2 (they fail at first mount).

Trying to exclude MTD issues I tested the same with JFFS and I don't
have any problem, but JFFS is not suitable for my needs :-(

By digging the net, I can't find any reference to this problem. Hope
anybody out there is using this setup (lite5200_defconfig as MTD
disabled) and can help. TIA.

Regards,
Andrea