inftl broken?

NZG ngustavson at emacinc.com
Thu Oct 12 10:43:13 EDT 2006

I've been going throught the mailing lists and haven't been able to come to a
clear conclusion as to the functionality of inftl. I see a lot of questions,
but I have yet to find a conclusive answer.

When I attempt to use it, it appears to be broken.

I have build a vanilla 2.6.14.7 kernel, installed it on a debian system, and
installed mtd-tools.

From the target I:
modprobe inftl
modprobe diskonchip

This correctly detects the diskon chip and creates a partition inftla

I create a secondary partition inftla1 with fdisk.
then:
mke2fs /dev/inftla1
mount /dev/inftla1 /mnt
cd /mnt
touch test
cd /
umount /mnt

I then reboot the system

modprobe inftl
modprobe diskonchip
mount /dev/inftla1 /mnt

and my test file is gone.

I have also attempted to use 2.6.18. It also fails, but differently.
It completely replaces the bad block chain every time the diskonchip driver
mounts.

Now, I'm flexible in how this is to be used, but I need a working system.

My question is:
***********Is anyone using inftl successfully in any way?*************

Please include details, i.e. filesystem, kernel, utils, etc...
If it' s proprietary and you can't share, then at least say "yes".

If this doesn't work under any circumstances, please consider removing it from
the kernel, or at least officially calling it broken.

I asked this same question on the IRC last night and no-one seemed to know.

NZG