Problem in Erase/Writing the flash device

harishkumar harishkumar at novatium.com
Thu Oct 12 05:09:40 EDT 2006

Hi,
	I am new to flash devices. I am writing AM29LV256MH 16MB flash map
driver using MTD for my ARM board.
I used jedec_probe. The flash is 16 bit.
I mapped my partitions for the flash.

Iam using 2.6.15 kernel.
When the kernel loads, it succesfully detects the flash.
i gave starting address as 0x02000000 & length as 0x01000000 & width as
2.

after booting up the kernel, cat /proc/mtd displayed the following
thing,
dev:	size		erasesize	name
mtd0:	01000000	00010000	Entire flash
mtd1:	00050000	00010000	Bootloader
mtd2:	00200000	00010000	Kernel
mtd3:	00c00000	00010000	Filesystem
mtd4:	001b0000	00010000	Reserved

All this seems to be ok, but normal read/write/erase operation on flash
device not happening.
I tried to read from the device /dev/mtd0 & dumped into file, the file
displayed only zeros.
Normally when no contents is there, it should display only ffff's but is
strange it is displaying zeros.

Then i tried to erase the flash using mtd-utils,
i got MEMERASE: input/output error.

Somebody help me............ please............

Harish