Kernel oops in jffs2 mount - any ideas?

Robin Gilks robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
Mon Nov 13 18:00:16 EST 2006

Artem Bityutskiy wrote:

> So the crash is somewhere in the CFI code. You should try to dig it and
> realize why it oopses.

Refering to standard 2.6.18 kernel...

OK - making progress in sorting bugs in the CFI code but still not fixed
the kernel panic which is looking more & more to be in the depths of the
jffs2 code :-(

1. In cfi_cmdset_0001.c, the fixup table is processed in order top to
bottom. The m28w320cb chip fixup disables buffer write method but the
buffer write fixup has already been executed by then so it tries to do
buffered writes which are not supported! The chip fixups *MUST* be first
in the table for this whole idea to work.

2. The chip ID as defined by ST is 0x88bb and that is what is read (in
my case) in 16 bit mode into cfi->id but the table only has the 8 bit
short code. Should this be masked to 8 bits so the table lookup works or
should the 8 bit probe be extended to get both halves of the ID or
should the table have the full 16 bit codes. In fact this chip only
supports 16 bit mode as far as I can see!!

--
Robin

addressee.  It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be
lost by reason of this transmission.
other act on the email.