Clarification on PLACE -vs- AUTO with JFFS2 cleanmarkers.

linux at architechnical.net linux at architechnical.net
Wed Nov 1 20:20:57 EST 2006

Hi,

I've written a custom driver for the ST 512R3A 8-bit NAND under 2.6.16 and
ported it to 2.6.18.  Because of some chip and system peculiarities I was
unable to use the NAND framework and wrote it using solely MTD (except for
software ECC).  The problem occurs when mounting a JFFS2 file system: the
cleanmarker is written to bytes 0-7 (ECC, bad block marker) instead of
8-15 of the OOB, as instructed by the write_ops call with ooboffs=0,
ooblen=8, and mode=MTD_OOB_PLACE.  My understanding is that MTD_OOB_AUTO
should be used to put the cleanmarker into the the free bytes; am I
mistaken?  I've corrected what we thought were other problems with len and
ooblen in wbuf.c but it looks like that patch came out Monday.

Thanks for any clarification,
Pete MacKay