mpc8270 and 64bit flash geometry

jean-francois simon jfs at themis.com
Fri May 26 13:05:54 EDT 2006

Hello,
We have designed a board using the mpc8270 and have problm
accessing the fLASH using linux-2.6.15.1

We have placed the FLASH on the 60x bus. Here is the geometry:

-FLASH Part number: M29DW640D70ZA1
-There are 2 Flash Memory Banks of 32MB each. So each bank has 4
chips that are banked to form a 64b wide bus.
-Write to FLASH: as we have a single WE signal per bank, the
write operation is done 64bits at a time. That is the CPU has to
generate a 64bit write. It can't write in 8,16,32bit mode.

With that in mind I have selected an interleave of 4 and
bankwidth of 8.

We now know this single WE poses problem. From reading the
archive it seems there is a work around by defining a write
routine in the map driver that uses the 64b load/store floating
point instrcutions.
So I have done that, but I still can't do an "eraseall" (it will
panic the system).

Besides the specific write routine, anything else I need to do?
Or the MTD code will simply not work with this kind of geometry?

Looking at the code, I have one question: SHould
./mtd/chips/cfi_probe.c:cfi_probe_chip() be called for _every_
flash chip? It seems to be called only once per bank.

Thanks

Best regards,
jean-francois simon - themis computer
5, rue irene joliot curie