Duplication of dirent names in JFFS2 summary

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri May 19 08:31:06 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 16:14 +0400, Artem B. Bityutskiy wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 13:11 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > If we can halve the amount of space taken on the flash by the summary
> > nodes, I think that's a worthwhile aim.
> >
> If halve, OK, but why do you think this encoding will halve it?

I think overall we can about halve the size of the summary nodes. A
variable-length encoding would be part of that.

struct jffs2_sum_inode_flash
{
	jint16_t nodetype;	/* node type */
	jint32_t inode;		/* inode number */
	jint32_t version;	/* inode version */
	jint32_t offset;	/* offset on jeb */
	jint32_t totlen; 	/* record length */
} __attribute__((packed));

The nodetype can be a single byte.

Inode number is going to start low, and will take only two bytes if it's
less than 16364 -- three bytes up to 2097152. Storing it as an index
into a table of 'inodes affected by this summary' might also be
worthwhile, since we'll often have many nodes which belong to the same
inode.

Version is also going to start low -- and we can also avoid storing it
for the second and subsequent nodes belonging to any given inode. We
_know_ it only counts up by one at a time.

Offset can be entirely redundant if we represent dirty space with a
separate summary entry -- there shouldn't be much dirty space in the
eraseblock when we've only just finished writing it anyway.

Totlen is going to be small.

So yes, for the 'struct jffs2_sum_inode_flash' I think we can halve it.

Much of the same goes for the 'struct jffs2_sum_dirent_flash', and we
can also drop the name from that too. So yes, I suspect we can get close
to half the size of that too.

--
dwmw2