jffs questions

Lakshmi N. Sundararajan lakshmi.s at promise.com
Mon May 15 13:14:57 EDT 2006

Hello Team:
I have an AMD 32MB/64Ksector block and a SPANSION 32MB/128Ksector block
FLASH chips.

I create partitions on both of them, to align on the 128KB boundary.
Now, can I create a jffs2 filesystem once, and make it run on both of
them successfully? Is there any issues that makes the same image not
to run on both of them?

I also see an option eraseblock whose size is default to 64KB. I guess
this needs to match the sector block size, but it can be made a multiple
of 64KB
also right (on the AMD Flash with 64KB sector size, can it also be
chosen to be
128KB)?

Please JFFS2 experts can you comment on this one.

BTW, I also see BADMAGIC JFFS2 partition not recognized, expected magic
0x1984 got something else from jffs2_scan_eraseblock() on bootup
sometimes.
What does this really mean? And sometimes the boot is successfull.
Sometimes
the system hangs (Cannot mount root). Infact the root filesystem is not
even JFFS2
it is compressed ext2. But during the initialization, other jffs2
partitions are mounted.

Any pointers on this?

Thanks,
-LN