JFFS2 node versioning problem?

Artem B. Bityutskiy dedekind at yandex.ru
Wed May 3 10:40:04 EDT 2006

Dmitry Bazhenov wrote:
> I think it can happen. I can imagine at least one scenario where such
> situation can occur. Of course, in normal circumstances it is hardly possible
> but in the case of a powerfail it can be.
> 	1. Assume, upon a call to jffs2_commit_write() function the
> 	f->highest_version has the maximum value.
> 	2. jffs2_commit_write() increments f->highest_version which becomes 0.
> 	3. jffs2_commit_write() invokes jffs2_write_dnode() with version=0.

I meant, whether it can happen with a real-life flash device taking into
account it's limited lifetime. Bear in mind, each eraseblock has limited
resource. I guess for huge flashes this may be the case, but JFFS2 is
not usable on them anyway. I'm too lazy to look at digits.

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityutskiy,