blkmtd and name_to_dev_t

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Mar 30 18:36:24 EST 2006

Hello all,

I'm trying to revamp the Linux kernel by moving a lot of (mainly)
initialization code to "early userspace" -- a tiny userspace carried
with the kernel image.  This is sometimes referred to as the "klibc"
project.

I sent a git tree to Andrew Morton for possible integration in -mm, and
it got rejected due to the fact that the blkmtd driver uses
name_to_dev_t() when compiled into the kernel, which is removed in the
klibc tree -- it is now strictly a matter of userspace policy.

I talked to Jörg Engel about this; he indicated that the blkmtd driver
(which is the one that has this problem) is already deprecated in favour
of block2mtd.  Hence I'm hesitant to spend a lot of time on this,
especially in the light of the fact that keeping a 90,000-line patch up
to date with an evolving kernel is a challenge in itself.

There seems to be a few options, in order from least work to more work:

- Removing the blkmtd driver and tell people to use block2mtd;
- Have kinit intercept blkmtd configuration options and emulate them
using block2mtd;
- Adjust blkmtd to have a configuration interface, and then make kinit
configure it.

I would appreciate any opinions on this.  Clearly, I'm eager at getting
unblocked on this, but my submitting a tree to Andrew which disables a
driver without the maintainers' OK isn't exactly going to fly :)

For what it's worth, the klibc tree is at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/hpa/linux-2.6-klibc.git

	-=hpa