Mode WriteBuffer on flash Mirrorbit

Sebastien Merceron sebastien.merceron at philips.com
Mon Mar 13 12:32:32 EST 2006

Hi,

I'm working on ARM9 with Linux 2.4.20 and jffs2.

I try to use new flash Mirrorbit from SPANSION (S29WS256N).
This flash allows two programation mode : OneWord or WriteBuffer.

-> I already integrated and tested "OneWord" code in cfi_cmdset_0002.c.
And it works perfectly. The only issue, is that the writting is too long.
It's why, I have to use the "WriteBuffer" mode to improve that.

-> When I'm using "WriteBuffer mode", I have some errors messages :
Data CRC 00d0ce03 != calculated CRC 73e51396 for node at 00ee8ea4

If I optimise the code in cfi_cmdset_0002.c, by reducing the buffer size
from 32 words to 16 words, I have less errors messages.
        If I remove the code below in procedure do_write_buffer(), it
works better, but I still have sometimes CRC error when I update some
files in file system.:
/*cfi_spin_unlock(chip->mutex);*/
/*cfi_udelay(chip->buffer_write_time);*/
/*cfi_spin_lock(chip->mutex);*/

It look like a timing issue, as if the buffer writting was interrupted
before the programmation was ended.

Is there any timer in Jffs2 or in linux, that could be disturb the
programtion in WriteBuffer mode.

Sebastien Merceron Software

Philips Consumer Electronics
BG Home Entertainment Networks