Questions.

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 14:46:42 EST 2006

On 3/7/06, Lakshmi N. Sundararajan <lakshmi.s at promise.com> wrote:
> Hello Team:
> I have a basic question on the definition of a variable in use.
>
> What is the definition of "bankwidth" on FLASH devices?
> Is it the data bus width in bytes?
> A 16bit data bus would have a bankwidth of 2?
> An 8bit data bus FLASH would have a bankwidth of 1?

Yes, sort of.  The variable used to be called buswidth, however there
can be configurations where the bank is not fully addressable in the
buswidth.  So the bankwidth variable represents how you can access all
of the chips.

"Normal" boards will use bankwidth exactly as you described above.  See:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2004-July/009974.html

and

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2004-July/009986.html

for more info.