Cannot erase nand flash

Steve Finney saf76 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 26 13:02:29 EDT 2006

>Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:52:43 +0200
>From: peter.hosten at rwth-aachen.de

> Unfortunately the mtd-util
>(flash_eraseall, mtd_debug) is not able to erase the NAND-Flash. I get the
>error  "./flash_eraseall: /dev/mtd3: MTD Erase failure: Input/output error"
>(see below)

>I also dumped the NAND Flash ( see below); may it be possible that it does
>not work because of the OBB data ( OOB Data: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>00 00 00 00 00 00) ?

I have seen that error with some versions of mtd-utils when the partition contains a
bad block, and your dumped OOB would be interpreted as a bad block
(no 0xFF in byte 5). But, in fact, the flash may have been successfully erased, and Linux
works reasonably well with bad blocks, so you may be able to just ignore
the "error".

sf