[RFC] arm : ALIGNMENT_TRAP and MTD

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Fri Jun 23 15:22:50 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 16:35 +0900, Hyok S. Choi wrote:
> Dear MTD folks,
>
> In ARM arch, we're merging my uClinux/ARM tree into mainline.
> While merging a certain CPU support codes, we found a bit doubt on the
> conditional including of MTD configuration file in arch/arm/Kconfig.
> The CPU core has no H/W based alignment mechanism, thus can not handle unaligned access.
> However as many uClinux archs do, many of the platforms had supported MTD drivers.
>
> Currently, _only_ ARM arch includes MTD configuration file conditionally as follows:
>
> if ALIGNMENT_TRAP
> source "drivers/mtd/Kconfig"
> endif

MTD does unaligned accesses. This dependency is there since the early
2.4 kernels.

I really do not want to meddle in the ARM dependency problems. Just my
$0.02: removing this will simply open another round of bug reports
related to this problem. Search the MTD archives, we had plenty of them.

Is there a damn good reason, why the NOMMMU stuff cannot have this
active ? If it enables code which is not feasible on NOMMU there are
ways to solve such problems quite elegant.

It's not a MTD problem, it's an ARM specific requirement.

	tglx