uboot performances

Davide CASCONE davide.cascone at st.com
Fri Jun 23 06:55:56 EDT 2006

I'm working with the OMAP5912 OSK platform. I have the boot-loader code and the Linux OS compressed image in a Sibley flash. When I run the system, the boot loader (uBoot) have to copy the Kernel Image (about 700KB) in RAM. It takes about 300ms in order to perform that copy. But I have read some benchmark results in which the copy of the kernel in RAM lasts only 80-100ms. In order to reduce the time of the copy on my platform, the only solution that I found (after checking the memory controller settings) is to modify the copy function memmove (uboot/ lib_generic/string.c). This function performs the copy byte by byte. If I modify this function to perform the copy 4byte by 4byte, the bootloader only takes about 80 ms. Do you think this is a good workaround for this problem? Can you suggest me anything better?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Davide