Creating NAND flash image outside embedded target

Kevin Starinieri Kevin_S1 at VERIFONE.com
Thu Jun 22 20:28:13 EDT 2006

I have looked through the mail archives and did not see any subject
threads regarding this.  I am trying to create a NAND flash image
without having to do it on my embedded target.

I have created a fake ram mtd device using mtdram driver, using the
following commands on a linux Fedora Core 5 machine:

modprobe mtdcore
modprobe mtdram total_size=32768 erase_size=16

I then created the necessary mtd block and character devices (mknod) and
then issued:

modprobe mtdblock

I then wanted to partition the fake mtd device and write to it using a
nandwrite utility that I compiled for x86 that is used for samsung arm
s3c2410 nand flash.  But the utility expects the device to be
partitioned and erase regions to be defined.  But, I don't know of
anyway to do this outside of my target.   It seems I need another x86
utility that will create the partitions and erase regions.  Does anyone
know how to create an MTD environment where I can create nand flash
images on my linux Fedora Core 5 box?

kstar