block2mtd booting impossible?

Paul Radford paul at radfordnz.net
Thu Jun 22 11:14:54 EDT 2006

Hi,

(Sorry to bother the devs but I can't find *any* info about this yet)

I have an x86 machine that up until 2.6.16.x was booting from JFFS2
filesystems via blkmtd (CF card in an IDE adapter). The kernel
parameters were:
ro root=/dev/mtdblock0 blkmtd_device=/dev/hda2,/dev/hda5,/dev/hda6
rootfstype=jffs2

That worked well. Is it possible to get the same functionality from
block2mtd (compiled in, not a module) now that blkmtd has been removed
in 2.6.17?

My attempt at doing so failed miserably:
ro root=/dev/mtdblock0 block2mtd=/dev/hda2 block2mtd=/dev/hda5
block2mtd=/dev/hda6 rootfstype=jffs2

I gave multiple block2mtd arguments because I don't see a
multiple-device capability in the code. Even with just one block2mtd
argument for the root FS, I just get the no-root panic. Am I missing
something here? Is JFFS2 block-device translation going to make the
whole block2mtd, mtdblock arrangement obsolete?

Thanks,
Paul
(please copy me in on replies - I'm not subscribed)