Linux Boot Time measurements

Davide CASCONE davide.cascone at st.com
Wed Jun 21 04:58:46 EDT 2006

I'm working with Linux 2.6.16 on the OMAP5912 OSK platform. The kernel is run in XIP mode from a Sibley flash that works in burst mode at 48MHz and is cached. During the boot I have measured the following times:
1. about 1.2s from the start of the bootloader to the start of the kernel (perhaps most of time is spent to verify checksum)
1. about 500ms from the start of the kernel to the start of JFFS2 mount
2. about 1.2s to mount the JFFS2 file system on a 16MByte partion (13MByte of used space and 3MByte of free space)

What do you think about these measurements?
Any suggestion to improve the performances?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Davide