Doc grub patch

Kobus Wolvaardt kobus at kreon.co.za
Mon Jun 12 04:38:57 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have been struggeling with compiling grub. I finally managed to compile it.
This is for anyone who may be struggeling with the same.

I followed this howto: http://lakeshoremicro.com/diskonchip-grub-howto.html
but I didnt use grub cvs seeing as it doesnt patch nicely (maybe there is
newer patches, but I couldnt find it). I patched the 0.92 version of grub
with the 0.92 patch and installed a 2.95 gcc. Compiling worked and gave me a
grub_firmware. I also patched grub 0.94 with the 2003 patch (try 2003-01 and
2003-11 one should patch with very few complaints). The patched grub 0.94
compiled with gcc 3.3 (couldnt get 4.0 or 4.1 to work).

I made a cd using barts dos cd creating tools, adding the grub_firmare from
0.94 to the cd. dformat /win:0xd0000 /bdkf0:grub_firmware loaded the firmware
and left me with a fat16 partition. I wiped it using fdisk in linux created a
new one and mkfs.ext2 on /dev/nftla1 and voilla.

Thanks,
Kobus

--
This message was scanned for viruses by MailScanner and Sophos.